Friday, April 30, 2010

This Week's Poems: 4/28/10

I KNOW WHO I AM
When I tell you about my life and the place where I was born in this city,
Which is Cabrini Green, I'm not asking for your praise nor your pity,
I KNOW WHO I AM.

When I tell you that a pen and paper got me through some tumultuous times
in my life,
I am not expecting a gasp or a raised eyebrow,
I am not looking for a standing ovation nor a bow,
I KNOW WHO I AM.

When some people smugly state that they have the right to live,
I state boldly that I live to write.
I am not asking for a look of astonishment,
Your approval is not my plight.
I KNOW WHO I AM..

When I lose my way sometimes and make bad choices,
No longer do I beat up on myself and give into the voices --that say:
Oh, her reaction is indicative of her upbringing...blazay, skippy,
que sera sera...
I KNOW WHO I AM..
Do you know who you are?

By Doreen Ambrose-Van Lee




I'm Not A
Piece of Meat

Why are you trying to visualize me with no clothes?
When you know nothing about me.
It's more to the eye then what you see.
Do you know who I am?
I'm not like all the rest.
I am a child of the King.
I'm not my big hips, big legs.
Smooth skin and dark brown eyes.
I am a Godly woman with a soul.
So if you see me walking down the street,
the grocery store, or a shopping mall,
Don't look at me as if I'm a piece of meat.

-Miranda Stidhum A.K.A. Anointed Queen


(Part Two)
*continued from last week’s issue
Love Ain't What It Used To Be

Did i make love out to be too sweet?
Did I leave out the tricks and exaggerate the treats?
Did i expect a dream and refuse to expect reality?
Was it you or me?
        Naa.
Love...ain't what it used to be.
Even with the stress,
Baby daddies and baby mamas,
Miscommunication and other drama,
The lies, the cheating,
Mistrust prevails,
Hurt souls cry out from heartache,
        What's left to exhale?
The remaining breath which holds your last bit of strength is held on to,
For if released you may pass out.
Rewind, bring it back.
For if released you may move on to find new strength to bring genuine love back,
Cause this bullsh** of today,
May be a four letter word beginning with the letter L,
But it ain't love,
    Cause love...
        Ain't what it used to be.

            -Ya girl, Lyrique

Take Time
Take time to think...
IT is the source of power.
Take time to play...
It is the secret
of perpetual youth.
Take time to read...
It is the fountain of wisdom.
Take time to pray...
IT is the greatest power
on Earth.
Take time to love
and be loved...
It is the road to happiness.
Take time to laugh...
It is the music of the soul.
Take time to give...
IT is too short a day
to be selfish.
Take time to work...
IT is the price of success.
Take time to do charity...
It is the key to heaven.
-Audrey J. Williams


Three Things
God will meet you
at the point of your needs.
Things in life that is once gone and never come back,
times, words and opportunity.
Things that can destroy a person: anger pride,
and no forgiveness.
Things that you should never lose: hope peace and honesty.
Things that are most valuable: love family and kindness.
Things that are never certain: Fortune, success and dreams.
Life is a big mystery that only God knows for certain.
We are all here
by three things:
his hand, his grace,
and his mercy.
By KG.

No comments:

Post a Comment