Friday, April 6, 2012

WEST SIDE VOICES

A NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL OF JAMES WELDON JOHNSON SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE
First of all, I would like to thank THE VOICE for the very positive article promoting the hard work the staff, students, and community have done in turning around The James Weldon Johnson School of Excellence. (THE GARFIELD-LAWNDALE VOICE, Vol. 8 #10, March 14)
    However, there are two mistakes that need to be corrected concerning the turnaround. First, the article stated the windows were painted black prior to the turnaround. This is not true. The windows were entirely covered with outdated and filthy blinds that indeed blocked the sunlight. The action I took was to immediately remove the blinds.
    The second correction concerns the staff percentages. 75% of the staff were first-year teachers and 25% were veteran CPS teachers. In fact, only one former James Weldon Johnson teacher was retained.
    Thank you so much for your attention to this matter. I would not like to unfairly represent the former school, nor misrepresent any action taken. Thank you, again, for the article and positive reporting.

Alice Felice Henry, Principal
AUSL – Johnson School of Excellence


STATEVILLE INMATE SAYS THANKS FOR THE BOOKS
Dear West Siders:

    First of all, let me say that a retraction is in order. I stated that public perception of inmates has left no room for compassion. However, I owe an apology. I received the books which I requested and I thank you very much indeed. [He requested VOICE readers to send copies of In The Belly Of The Beast and Soledad Brothers – Prison Letters, neither of which are in the prison library.]
    The Books we have we hold almost by force of arms, and I mean that literally! You see, Books are dangerous where there is injustice because oppressed men know the value of books on a different level altogether. Once again, Thank You!

Respectfully,
Namore Smith #C-01355
P.O. Box 112
Joliet, Illinois 60434

No comments:

Post a Comment